Resources for Archivists
The Utah State Archives has developed some procedures in the way we do our work that may benefit other institutions.
- Utah State Archives Digital Preservation Framework (2015, draft)
- Glossary of Digital Preservation Terms (2015, draft)
- How we converted our legacy finding aids to EAD, and later to a database
- Video on How to use Microsoft Office Mail Merge encoded container lists
- EAD 2002 Schema stylesheet
- We follow the Utah Manuscripts Association' Best Practices Guide (also available in a condensed version)
- Appraisal checklist, which includes technical criteria for electronic records
APPX-based Archives Enterprise Manager (Axaem) Software - The Utah State Archives has made its software available under an open-source license (GPL, with an exception), which any archival institution may use.
Features of Axaem include:
- the ability to manage temporary records and permanent holdings
- describe records using the DACS standard
- generate retention schedules (general and specific)
- track microfilm and imaged records
- identify creators and subjects through authority files
- track patron questions
- export MARC records
- produce EAD and EAC output
- interface with your institution's website
Page Last Updated November 16, 2017.